Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Week 6 in Big Orange Country

It was upset Saturday in college football, and fortunately, the Vols were not on that list. I know we struggled against Open Week and finally pulled away in the fourth quarter, but this week is where Tennessee either sinks or swims as old foe Georgia comes to Knoxville in an elimination game for the division title.

Tennessee leads the all-time series with Georgia 19-15-2 dating to 1899, although the Bulldogs have won their last three visits to Neyland Stadium. UT rallied for a 51-33 triumph a year ago in Athens—the Vols second straight win at UGA’s Sanford Stadium.

The Big Orange own a 9-8-1 advantage over the Bulldogs in Knoxville, and UT head coach Phillip Fulmer boasts a 10-5 career mark against Georgia. Fulmer won his first eight games against UGA from 1992-99. Those eight triumphs were part of a nine-game win streak for Tennessee against Georgia that marked the longest such streak by either team in the series (1989-99).

Week 5 Recap

I was glad to see Auburn go down to Florida and smash the myth of invincibility of the mighty Gators. Everyone sipped the hater-ade last week and said, “Florida was down after beating Tennessee and played just good enough to win at Ole Miss.” We shall see what kind of team they really have this Saturday in Baton Rouge.

What did you think of the punk move by “The Crier” to try to ice Auburn’s Wes Byrum? If you are so scared of a teenager kicking a football that you try a stunt like that, you need to get out of coaching. As our buddy Dalton from Road House once said, “There’s always barber college.”

Byrum wasn’t fazed. "I really just stopped thinking, because I just did it once," he said. "I stood back there, took my steps and just did it again."





Also, did you see the wristwatches Meyer and Charlie Strong, the defensive coordinator, were wearing? They reminded me of the electa-com wristbands Electro Woman and Dyna Girl wore on that Sid and Marty Krofft show in the 70’s.



What did you think of the uniforms of some of the teams last week? LSU’s white helmets were a fun change, but the jerseys were a little strange. What was the gold and white patch underneath the arms? It looked like the jersey numbers had quotation marks around them. And Minnesota’s uniforms against Ohio State looked like they had been stored in a giant vat of nacho cheese dip.




I am not sure who is better that this point of the season. It has to be either LSU or USC. However, I think if USC sends me any more of these pictures, I would have to vote them #1 in my poll. However, LSU is a close second and could overtake the Trojans by the end of the year. Look at the pictures and tell me who you would vote #1.




Announcer Review

Here are some quotes from last week’s announcers.


"And you think the biggest factor of the first quarter is...." - Verne Lundquist
"The wind. Gosh, if I close my eyes, a Big 10 game's liable to roll in any second." - Gary Danielson

The Genius worked overtime this week to come up with something witty for the CBS game. Gosh, if I close my eyes, will someone roll in and slap him for me?

“He just checked into the empty arms hotel.” - Dave LaMont, after a dropped pass by Georgia Tech’s Greg Smith

Actually, that one was pretty good.

"Sometimes, when you're a Quarterback, you have to win with your arm."- Andre Ware

Really? I thought you won games with your mouth...

"Forget conservative, Auburn is going into Hillary territory on the field."- Mike Patrick on a Tigers 4th down conversion.

And like Bill, the Tigers scored on the play.

"It looked like Dennis Dixon overthrew him and it just stuck to his gloves like Teflon." - Tim Brant

Teflon does the exact opposite of that, Timmy.

"He grasps about 85% of our package...."- Quint Kessenich

Ouch!

"That'll bring up 3rd and 2...do you think about going for it here?"- Thom Brenanman

Sounds like Thom has been hanging out with Gary Danielson and Paul Maguire again.

"Trev, we talked about how penalties really don't have much of an impact on the game except when they happen in the blue zone or the red zone or whatever you call it."- Tom Hart

Covered a lot of football, haven’t you, Tom?

"I like it, because now you don't have to think about how many time outs are left, just look at the top of the screen." - Brad Nessler
"Griese explains the thing every week." - Paul Maguire
"It's still early in the football season, Paul. I'm going to highlight them again later." - Bob Griese
"Bob, you draw the best balls I've ever seen." - Paul Maguire

I think he explains it every week, Manure, because you have been in too many football games without a helmet. And as far as your last comment, I am not quite sure how to approach that one.

Mailbag

Hey Sarge:

People often wonder how I'm such a huge Tennessee fan. I grew up in NYC (on Telemundo TV mind you), I live in Las Vegas, and until 5 yrs ago had never been to
TN...but somehow I have more VOL orange in veins (and my closet) than some UT alumni, and I've learned the fine art of throwing items in my house on game days.
Anyway, I follow the Vols religiously, as well as your weekly written insights...so, I was wondering if everything was okay with the biggest Vol fan we've all come to know and love. Any new quotable gems from Aunt Molly? I miss her. I also miss Jim Bob Cooter sideline sightings, but that’s another story entirely. Please give us some news on Molly, and if possible, arrange some more TV time for Jim Bob.

Viva Los Voluntarios!
Liz Lopez

Ola Liz!

Thanks for the email! Aunt Molly is as feisty as ever. During every off week, Aunt Molly likes to watch a recorded Tennessee game since, as she says, “I get so out of whack when the Vols don’t play, I couldn’t organize a pissing contest in a brewery.” I talked to her this morning to get her take on the game Saturday and she said, “Hell, all the coaches are talking about how they are getting better every day in practice, but as far as I am concerned, they are nothin’ but big hat, no cattle.” (Which means they are all talk and no action). Jim Bob Cooter is a grad assistant with the Vols. If you look closely, you can see him on the sidelines next to Coach Fulmer, so he is getting more TV time now than ever before.

Keep the emails coming, Liz, and Viva Vols!!!!


Sarge:

Thanks for giving me a shout out on your video, that was neat. Like I said before the SEC East is up for grabs again. We have got to beat Georgia. Our fans have to come alive next week. The thing I like is that nobody in the whole country is giving us a chance, its time to show them what we are made of. Its DO or DIE next week, we have to walk out of Neyland winners next week. Tennessee's 12th man is going to have to be a big part of it.

Will Moore

Thanks, Will! Hopefully I will see you on top of the goalpost on Saturday. Bring a hacksaw blade and save me a piece of the post, will ya?

Hey Sarge! This is your correspondent is Knoxville just checking in to tell you that we are gearing up for a battle up here and we will need your to help lead the troops to face the invaders of Fort Neyland. Go Vols and always ready to fight for the orange!

Chris

Chris, thanks for your support! I am looking forward to riding down to the stadium on top of the Big Orange Tank so if you are around the BOA HQ, look for me and I'll see if I can get you a spot next to the Ol' Sarge so we can lead the Big Orange Nation into the biggest battle of our orange and white lives. Keep the faith!



The Sarge has been a little stressed ever since Sunday morning about the game. When I get worried about what is going to go down for our brave boys in orange on the 100 yard battlefield, I do the only thing I know to calm me down. So, on the way into the base this morning, I pulled out my Foghat CD’s and jammed a little. It helped so I highly recommend it.

The only way the Vols can win on Saturday is for the defense to rise up and play the game of the year. If not, it is going to be a long day in Neyland Stadium. If that happens, don’t worry about sending any emails, just send over as much Daddy’s Apple Juice as you can since the ol’ Sarge is going to need it.

Feel free to drop me an email at
volsdiary@yahoo.com so we can discuss this week’s game, or any other college football news you would like to talk about. Until next time, rub those orange and white rosary beads, repeat your game maxims and never take Coach Fulmer’s name in vain. Go Big Orange!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

GO VOLS!

Keep up the great work Sarg and continue to check us out!