Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Week 7 in Big Orange Country

It was a surprising weekend in Big Orange Country as the Vols stunned Georgia 35-14. It was a great day for the Sarge too as I got to ride in the Big Orange Tank before the game, and once again, Flame's tailgate party was as festive as usual. Flame's tailgate has been named "Tailgate Of the Year" three times in this decade, so it is one we look forward to every home game.





Let's look at the week that was in Big Orange Country!



Coach Fulmer's Comments about Georgia and Mississippi State

Needless to say, we’re very pleased with our win over Georgia. We played our most complete football game of the year. I really appreciate how the team has continued to have a tremendous attitude as we’ve been going through the season. The fact that we have had to handle some adversity so far, I think will help make our team stronger. We are as healthy as we’ve been in some time, which is very much a blessing.


Mississippi State is a good football team at 4-2. They beat a good Auburn team at Auburn. They’re dangerous, physical, tough guys up front. The running backs and tight ends have my good friend Woodrow McCorvey’s fingerprints all over them. He is a tough guy. Defensively, they are a very multiple, talented group of guys. Titus Brown might be the best defensive lineman we’ve played against to this point. In the kicking game, they are very, very solid; a good team.


VOLS-MISSISSIPPI STATE SET FOR PAY-PER-VIEW

Tennessee’s game this Saturday at Mississippi State is being televised on a pay-per-view basis across the state of Tennessee. Kickoff is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. Eastern (1:30 p.m. Central). Randy Smith will handle the announcing duties for the game.


Saturday with Sgt. Scooter


The day began with the Sarge getting the thrill of a lifetime as I got to ride in the Big Orange Tank around campus with General Jamison and the Big Orange Army. My wife (General Sweetie) and daughter (Private Sofie) joined my tailgating buddies over at the Longbranch Saloon while we got to see all the great Vol fans around campus. Problem was my nephew, Corporal Brandon, seized the opportunity to guzzle down all my PBR's, so by the time I got back to the Longbranch, the ol' Sarge was out of luck. Good thing we had plenty of "Daddy's Apple Juice" to get me through the afternoon.




Private Sofia made her first appearance on campus. Shown here is Sofie, along with Uncle J.L.'s daughter Lindsey and General Sweetie as they posed for an afternoon picture.











My brother, Soup, and I had a ball at the tailgate and at the game. Memorable quote #1, this one from Soup, "If you run out of Daddy's Apple Juice, then I can supply ya a little tickle of the Dickle."






It was really hot on Saturday. It was like my Aunt Molly always says, "It's hotter than a goat's ass in a pepper patch." It was so hot, we had a few people pass out from the heat, and the rest from the bar located at the side of the lot. Memorable quote #2 came from one of Flame's Harley buddies as he drove through the lot to park his motorcycle. He told Flame, "Hell, son, my brother got a hog, and I ended up with a piggie." Coach B looked at me and said, "Now we're in trouble..."



I got around to asking Flame what he does in the off season. He replied, "Well, Sarge, I'll tell ya. The day after the last Tennessee football game, I will sleep until a week before the first game. Then I will put myself through a strict two-a-day regiment, just like the football team, but my two-a-days consist of getting liquored up twice a day so I can get ready for the season." Next year, Flame told me he plans to have a handheld microphone so when people arrive at the tailgate site, he can announce their entry. "Attention, everyone. The Smith family has just arrived at the tailgate. Put your hands together for the Smiths!" After the game, Flame honored a post game victory tradition by clogging in the parking lot. Now there is a great Vol fan! If you ever get up to campus on gameday drop by the site, you will have the time of your life!


Game of the week

Stanford 24 - USC 23

It was good to see a 40 point underdog like Stanford upset USC since the Trojans have won a bazillion games over the last few years and Stanford has lost about that many. That fact alone should tell you this was one of the biggest upsets in college football history. I will say I got a kick out of the Stanfod QB, Tavita Pritchard, when he told the sportscasters, "I thank God for this victory and all things are done through him." Does God really care who wins a college football game? Does he look at the paper on Saturday morning and say, "Hmm, I have to do something about global warming. Wait a second, Stanford is a 40 point underdog. I think I am going to have some fun and let them win. That would be more exciting than to worry about the Earth getting too hot." Once I would like to hear a player say in a post game interview, "I would like to thank the prince of darkness, Satan, for this win. All the really crappy things you can do to someone else can be accomplished through him..."


Announcer Review

"That hit on McCoy was only second to the one I got from the policeman in the elevator after I did my stand-up." - Brad Nessler

The cop should of hit him harder.

"...this Wildcat team had a costly turnover last week." - Ray Bentley, talking about a UNC Player

The UNC Wildcats are looking good this year.

"This thing is completely even at ten, but again the two missed field goals by the Seminoles.....maybe they could be in front here."- Dave Lamont

Maybe, unless they change the points awarded for a missed field goal.

"They are tight-ending Oklahoma to death"- Brad Nessler

Wasn't that a XXX movie with Joey Silvera and Tori Wells?

"Did you see any of those events in 1969?"- Ron Franklin
"I was in my mom most of 1969."- Ed Cunningham

I'm sure The King slapped Cunningham during the commercial break and said, "Look, kid, you handle the analyst stuff, leave the jokes to me..."

"Florida OL Jim Tartt's has a mouthful of Glenn Dorsey all night."- Gary Danielson

And Danielson has had a mouthful of diarrhea all season.

"Virginia Tech went to LSU and got murdered."- Mike Patrick

And they rose from the grave to smack Clemson in the mouth last Saturday.


This week's games:

Wednesday, October 1oth

Navy @ Pittsburgh (ESPN, 8:00 Wed) - Rece Davis, Mark May, Lou Holtz, Quint Kessenich


I shink the Pantherssss will blastsss Navy out of the water, unlesssss their quarterback getsss a shtinger and it losssst for the shssseason....

Saturday, October 13th

Illinois @ Iowa (ESPN2, 12:00) - Pam Ward, Ray Bentley, Quint Kessenich

Can you imagine Lou Holt trying to pronounce Quint Kessenich's name? Mark May would be drowning in saliva.

Louisiana State @ Kentucky (CBS, 3:30) - Verne Lunduqist, Gary Danielson, Tracy Wolfson

Did you hear Danielson on the Florida bandwagon again last Saturday? After a bruising run by the Gators Kestahn Moore was halted by a blast from LSU's Craig Steltz, "The Genius" said, "Well, that might have been a nice hit, but it came after 7 yards so Florida will take that every play." Hmm, Steltz is a monster, but got no love on the play. Moore must have staggered over to the sidelines and quoted Kareen Abdul-Jabbar from Airplane, "I'm busting my buns every Saturday. Tell Dainelson to drag Steltz and Dorsey up and down the field for 60 minutes ..."



Wisconsin @ Penn State (ABC/ESPN, 3:30) - Brad Nessler, Bob Griese, Paul Maguire, Bonnie Bernstein

Paul Manure goes to Happy Valley this weekend, which will be re-named Fatty Valley when the Whopper hits the scene. I think they used Manure as a consultant for the Bad News Bears movie so he could coach that Engelberg kid since that is what Manure must have been like when he was that age.






Texas Tech @ Texas A&M (ABC, 3:30) - Ron Franklin, Ed Cunningham, Jack Arute

Good to see the King getting a plum assignment again. I just hope they can get the game finished before Cunningham is due back at Boystown.

Auburn @ Arkansas (ESPN, 7:45) - Mike Patrick, Todd Blackledge, Holly Rowe

I had a few emails from fans wanting to know where Holly Rowe was going to be this weekend. I had more emails telling me to stop posting where Holly Rowe is going to be this weekend.


Washington @ Arizona State (FSN, 10:15) - Barry Tompkins, Petros Papadakis, Jim Watson

I heard Petros was asked to drive Tompkins to the game since the legal driving age in Arizona was 80 and Tompkins missed that deadline by about a decade. Papadakis was a little worried when he walked to the car, he realized Tompkins drives a stagecoach.

Thanks to the Awful Announcing Page! Check them out at: (http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/search/label/The%20Pammies)


This week's Website of the Week is Veho!

Veho let's you set up your personal college football highlight reel with your favorite teams and games. It is a must for the most hardcore college football fan! Start creating your own college football highlights today by going to: http://www.veoh.com/channels/ncaafootball?cmp=NCAAFBanner&Affiliate=volsdiary.blogspot.com&bannerSize=728x90


Mailbag

Dear Sarge,

Thank you for wearing the banner of the Big Orange through the BOA. It makes me proud and does us, the fans, a great service. I love being a part of this outfit, and can't wait for the chance to come up and see some of the orange army family in person. Hey, let's get ready for what will be a certain test at Starkville. The dogs will be tough at home, but I believe the sweet winds of victory and confidence we sucked into our collective lungs last week will serve us well. GO VOLS!

Paul "VOL"
42nd Infantry
Behind enemy lines, and fighting for the orange and white


Thanks, Paul! I was happy to be leading the BOA down Cumberland Ave. last Saturday! With the win and the Gators loss, the Vols control their own destiny in the SEC East. But we have a lot of football to be played so it's a long way from being over. You are one of the few that never lost the faith so take a few Big Orange bucks out of petty cash and have some of "Daddy's Apple Juice" on the Sarge!

Dear Sarge:

Today's game vs. Georgia is how you defend home field. Like you said, if the defense showed up we would have a chance. I think its safe to say they showed up. Our fans were really pumped for this game, that's how it needs to be every time. Florida just got beat, so there are 3 teams in the east that have two losses, there are 3 teams that have only 1 loss, and we are one of them, we have a good chance in the East.

Thanks, Will! Like I mentioned in the BOA Video Blog, I thought I would see you on top of the goalpost! You are right, we have a chance, but we need to take every game one at a time since there are no soft spots in the SEC. Don't sip the kool-aid just yet, but the Vols are back in it. You are one of the great fans who didn't jump ship when UT was down so I applaud you for that. Stay tuned!

OK fans, the Vols are back on Saturday at Starkrville against Mississippi State. The game is on PPV at 2:30 EST so if you can't see it, go to www.utsports.com and listen to it on the internet, or get on the radio and listen to the Vol Network.


Until Saturday, rub those orange and white rosary beads, repeat your game maxims and never take Coach Fulmer's name in vain. Go Vols!!!

No comments: